Friday, May 27, 2011

Evil Dwarfs

Okay, I have spent a few paint sessions with @ginger_buddha and Tupp, and I followed miniature mentor video instructions.  I am too embarrassed to display any results, but I am a HUGE fan of the following painting techniques now:

- Thinning paint for better graduation and leaving detail
- Using a hair dryer to speed up drying
- Glazing to tint
- Shadowing down and highlighting up
- Using A LOT of light
- Mixing paints for color interest and increased subtlety in transitions

I am satisfied that extra effort is very much worthwhile, and that I can keep the increase in painting time per fig from becoming boring.  I'm going to try another test fig this weekend, and I'll post the results.

I've also gotten a lot of feedback on my army list.  Plus, I watched renowned dwarf general, Gary Luthor, play a game or two at the Midwest Rampage to pick up some dwarf tips.  The primary decision for me is whether to 1) spend max allowed points on a lord and runelord, 2) to increase unit sizes, or 3) to add a unit of hammerers.  My 2000 pt army list below is aimed at option 3) to maximize troops and having five unit banners for a fortitude of eight.

2000 Pts - Dwarfs Roster
Runesmith General, 127 pts (Shield, Rune of Stone, Master Rune of Challenge; Rune of Spellbreaking x1)
Thane BSB, 155 pts (Master Rune of Gromril; Rune of Preservation; Rune of Resistance)

10 Thunderers, 165 pts (Mus; Std; Light Armour; Shield)
10 Thunderers, 165 pts (Mus; Std; Light Armour; Shield)
20 Longbeard Rangers, 345 pts (Mus; Std; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Shield)
      Runic Standard (Ancestor Rune x1; Rune of Determination)

20 Slayers, 238 pts (Mus; Std)
20 Hammerers, 258 pts (Mus; Std; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour)
Cannon, 125 pts (Rune of Burning; Rune of Reloading; Engineer w/ Brace of Pistols)
Grudge Thrower, 160 pts (Rune of Accuracy; Rune of Penetrating x1; Rune of Reloading; Engineer w/ Brace of Pistols)

Organ Gun, 120 pts
Gyrocopter, 140 pts

Composition Report:

Points of Lords: 0 (0 - 500)
Points of Heroes: 282 (0 - 500)
Points of Core: 675 (500 - Unlimited)
Points of Special: 781 (0 - 1000)
Points of Rare: 260 (0 - 500)
Total Roster Cost: 1998

2 comments:

  1. looking forward to seeing the army on the table at the next tournament.

    ReplyDelete
  2. vshare
    vshare download
    vshare market
    vshare apk
    vshare helper
    vshare ios

    followed miniature mentor video instructions. I am too embarrassed to display any results.

    ReplyDelete